Whose fault is it when a pedestrian gets hit? Does it matter if they are in a crosswalk or in the middle of the street?
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
“We have the experience, the compassion that’s necessary, and we get results.”
Steps To Ensure Your Safety As A Pedestrian
In many instances, there is not much a pedestrian can do to protect himself or herself from a motor vehicle crash. However, there are steps you can take to safely walk while in the presence of moving cars. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends the following safety steps and precautions:
- Walk on a sidewalk if available, and if not, walk on the shoulder, facing traffic.
- Avoid using distractors like phones or radios.
- Never assume a driver sees you or is going to obey traffic laws. Be vigilant and alert about your surroundings.
- Cross at crosswalks or other places on the road where drivers expect to see pedestrians.
- Avoid darting out across a road or crossing from between two vehicles.
- Stay off of freeways, restricted-access highways and other pedestrian-prohibited roadways.
- Avoid dark clothing, especially if traveling at night. Bright, especially fluorescent, clothing will ensure you visibility in the day.
- Reflective clothing and/or carrying a flashlight is highly encouraged at night.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs.
If You Or A Loved One Is Involved In A Pedestrian Accident
- Call the police and make sure that an ambulance is dispatched to the scene of the accident.
- Get immediate medical attention for any injuries sustained in the accident (allow paramedics to transport injured parties to the hospital for care and treatment).
- Do not admit anything to any party without contacting an experienced pedestrian accident attorney.
- Exchange identifying information and insurance information with all parties involved in the accident.
- Do not speak directly with the liable party’s insurance adjusters, attorneys or representatives about the facts of the case without first consulting with an experienced pedestrian accident attorney.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, the vehicles and the injuries sustained in the pedestrian accident.
- Do not sign any medical release forms without speaking to an experienced pedestrian accident attorney.
- Recover lost wages and income. The injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident often affect your ability to work, so we will handle all of the paperwork to recover your lost earnings.
- Visit at home and/or the hospital. If your injury affects your ability to come to us, then we will come to you. We have investigators on staff who will travel directly to your home or hospital to make your recovery as easy as possible.
ACCIDENTS HURT, EXPERIENCED ATTORNEYS CAN HELP.
Do I need a lawyer?
When it comes to making this decision we ask our clients to keep in mind that defendants frequently have teams of attorneys on staff prepared to find ways to pay out as little as possible on every claim. So why not hire a team of accomplished attorneys who focus on personal injury litigation to level the playing field for you?
What is the first step I should take if I am injured?
Seek the medical attention that you need. The most important thing is taking care of your injury. Forget about the case, medical care trumps everything
What is negligence?
Negligence is a large factor of a personal injury case. This involves someone who is careless or reckless and causes harm to another person. No one ever asks to be injured, but when one person’s negligence has significantly impacted another person’s life we are here to care about, defend and protect you. Proving negligence in a personal injury case is essential to helping our clients obtain the compensation that they deserve.
Should I accept an offer from the insurance company?
It is common for an insurance company to offer a settlement after an accident occurs. To some, the settlement may seem like a good offer but you need to understand why it is not. These insurance companies make money by offering you the least amount of compensation possible. Your case is most likely worth a lot more than what the insurance company will offer you. It is highly recommended that you never accept an offer from an insurance company without speaking to an attorney first. We can provide you with better care and compensation than any insurance company can offer.
The team helped my family and I get through a tough time and we are grateful for their compassion and hard work. They were not only sensitive and understanding but they treated my family like their own. We were fortunate to have their representation.
Mark Dym is a fantastic Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation lawyer and his efforts led to a great result in my car crash case! He answered all my questions and guided me through the entire process. The outcome was better than I expected.
Mark Dym, one of best in his craft! Knowledgeable & compassionate to all your needs.